UAB Research Computing Day 2011
m (moved 2011 to UAB Research Computing Day 2011: Better focus the title for this specific event rather than the entire year.)
(Reformatted introduction to provide more detail on event; transcluded agenda and program committee to avoid needless link outs)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
2011 Research Computing Day ''
* 8:30 - 4pm, September 15, 2011,
* - September 16, 2011 [2011_HPC_Boot_Camp2011 HPC Boot Camp] and [2011_Galaxy_WorkshopGalaxy Workshop]Hill University Center
Revision as of 13:39, 22 August 2011
The 2011 UAB Research Computing Day will be held September 15, 2011 at the Hill University Center.
Activities this year will include a seminar on Thursday, September 15, 2011 with invited talks, campus researchers, and poster session. This will be followed on Friday September 16, 2011 by an HPC Bootcamp that includes a Next Generation Sequencing Workshop using Galaxy.
Event Days and Times
- 8:30 - 4pm, September 15, 2011, 2011 UAB Research Computing Day at the Hill University Center
- 9:00 - 3pm. September 16, 2011 2011 HPC Boot Camp and Galaxy Workshop at the Hill University Center
AGENDA for UAB 2011 Research Computing Day
September 15, 2011
UAB Hill University Center Auditorium
- 8:30 - 9:00 Registration
- 9:00 - 9:05 Welcome and Overview (pdf), David Shealy, PhD
- 9:10 - 9:45 Sustaining - and Growing - Research Computing Services at a Research I University (pdf), Ruth Marinshaw, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research Computing, Information Technology Service, University of North Carolina, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://its.unc.edu/Research/index.htm
- 9:45 - 10:20 Galaxy: A Web-based Platform for Accessible, Reproducible, and Transparent High-throughput Biology (pdf), Jeremy Goecks, PhD, Research Fellow in the Taylor Lab at Emory University, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: http://bx.mathcs.emory.edu/
- 10:25 - 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 - 11:15 UAB IT Research Computing Services Update (pdf), John-Paul Robinson, Bob Cloud, David Shealy
- 11:15 - 11:45 UAB IT Strategic Plan for Research Community (pdf), E. Douglas Rigney, PhD, PE, Interim Vice President for Information Technology, Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- 11:45 - 1:15 Poster Session and Lunch - size and location to be determine
- 1:15 - 2:30 Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Applications Session
- 1:15 - 1:40pm: Genotype calling for next-gen sequencing data, Degui Zhi, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 1:40 - 2:05: Preferred Odorant Binding Sites and Olfactory Receptor Function (pdf), Chiquito J. Crasto, PhD, Assistant Professor, Division of Research, Department of Genetics, Univeristy of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: 205-996-7083; E-mail: email@example.com .
- 2:05 - 2:35: Challenges in data acquisition, storage and processing for NIH funded studies (pdf), Stephen Barnes, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: 205-934-7117; FAX: 205-934-6944; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2:35 - 3:05pm: The Web of Linked Data and Informatics for the One Computer, Jonas S Almeida,PhD, Professor, Director of Div. Informatics, Dept Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tel: (205) 975-3286, email: email@example.com, cv: http://jonasalmeida.info
- 3:05 - 3:20 Coffee Break
- 3:20 - 4:20 Science and Engineering Applications Session
- 3:20 - 3:40: TAH - Update on UAB MATLAB campus license (pdf), David L Shealy, PhD, Professor and Chair, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: (205)934-8068; FAX (205)934-8042; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3:40 - 4:00: Computing in network modeling, Xujing Wang, Associate Professor, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: email@example.com
- 4:00 - 4:20: Improving Application Performance, John-Paul Robinson, System Architect Research Computing, IT Research Computing, LHL 164, zip 0013; Office telephone number: (205) 975-0124; Facsimile telephone number: (205) 975-2855; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and Thomas Anthony, IT Intern and Graduate Student in Computer Engineering; E-Mail: email@example.com ; Tele: (205) 410-8698.
- 4:30pm -- closing remarks/discussions of issues that need to be resolved.
2011 Research Computing Day Program Committee
- David L Shealy, Prof/Chair Physics, Director IT Research Computing, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charles W Prince, Prof Nutrition Sciences Ph.D., email@example.com
- Elliot J Lefkowitz, Assoc Prof Microbiology, ElliotL@uab.edu
- Paul D Gamlin, Prof/Chairman Vision Science, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bharat Soni, Prof/Chairman Mechanical Engineering, email@example.com
- Anthony Skjellum, Prof/Chairman, Computer & Information Science, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jonas S Almeida, Prof/Director Div Informatics, Dept Pathology, email@example.com
- John-Paul Robinson, System Architect Research Computing, IT, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purushotham V Bangalore, Assoc Prof Computer & Information Science, email@example.com
- Degui Zhi, Assist. Prof, Section on Statistics Genetics, Biostatistics, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jelai Wang, System Programmer Lead, Section on Statistical Genetics, Biostatistics, email@example.com