Matlab Designated Computer Install
UAB has acquired a university wide site license for MATLAB and Simulink software. This license includes all Mathworks Inc. products in use at UAB, with the exception of the Distributed Computing Server (DCS) which must be licensed separately. This new site license also makes available several new toolboxes and blocksets not previously licensed by UAB.
The new Total Academic Headcount (TAH) license will make it easier for everyone in the UAB community to use MATLAB and other Mathworks products. Specifically, it will enable use of MATLAB on university owned machines for all faculty, staff and students. Faculty and staff will also be entitled to install the software on personally owned computers.
The TAH allows both unlimited use of MATLAB in both teaching and research activities, but only full time faculty and staff can install full collection of MATLAB and any of the 42 toolboxes and block-sets on their computers for UAB work. Students can use Mathworks software on UAB computers on campus.
UAB will be first university in Alabama to implement a TAH license.
how to install the software
The following instructions apply to dedicated standalone installations. To set up a license server see: Matlab network concurrent license server.
In order to install and activate the software, end users need Mathworks accounts. Create a Mathworks account at www.mathworks.com with your official UAB email address (email@example.com). Students will not be able to install and activate the software. They are free to use the products on any computer on campus after it is installed and activated. For the purposes of this license, graduate students and post-docs are considered staff when using the software in the course of research.
Users will need an activation key to associate their Mathworks accounts with the license. You can get the activation key from the UAB IT software site. See get a UAB Mathworks key for instructions. You only need to request the key once.
After your account has been associated with the license, download, install, and activate the software following the instructions below.
- Create a Mathworks account using your @uab.edu address if you do not have one already.
- Request an activation key.
- Associate to the campus-wide license using your activation key.
- Download and install the MATLAB software.
- Activate the software.
This is a standalone license, so MATLAB can be used off of the network.
installation, more detailed version
A detailed description of the installation process is in the end-user section of the TAH admin guide: TAH Admin Guide
These instructions are paraphrased below:
- You must have a MathWorks account with an @uab.edu email address as the user name. You can use an existing Mathworks account, but the e-mail address used for the account must include the university’s e-mail domain and the account must be set up for academic use. To create an account at the MathWorks web site, click the Create Account link. When you create the account, make sure to set it up for academic use (under How will you use this software).
- Get an Activation Key. See Get a UAB Mathworks key.
- To download the software, you must associate your MathWorks Account with the TAH Campus license, using the Activation Key. You can associate with a license using the License Center at the MathWorks Web site. To associate with a license at the License Center, follow these instructions:
- Follow these instructions to install the product files
- Go to the MathWorks Web site and log in to your MathWorks Account. On the My Account page, under My Downloads click Get Licensed Products and Updates. (For now, if you do not have download rights, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or one of the other Admins and we will change the permissions. Put MATLAB TAH in the subject line.)
- Select your products and download them.
- Start the MathWorks installer specific to your platform.
- Windows: Double-click the setup.exe file.
- Macintosh: Double-click the InstallForMacOSX file.
- Linux/Unix: Run the install.sh script.
- Choose to install automatically using the Internet in the Installer Welcome dialog box.
- Review the software license agreement and click Next.
- Log in to your MathWorks Account, specifying your university e-mail address and password, and click Next. If you have not created an account, select the I need to create a MathWorks Account option and click Next. If you are creating a new account, enter your university e-mail address, first name, and last name in the Account Creation dialog box. When you create an account you must also specify the Activation Key of the TAH Campus license. (see Get a UAB Mathworks key) Click Next.
- Specify the license you want to install in the License Selection dialog box.
- If you have already associated your account with the TAH Campus license at the License Center, select the license from the list of licenses.
- If you have the Activation Key for the TAH Campus license, select the Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed option and enter the Activation Key.
- If you created an account in the previous step, you already specified the Activation Key, so the installer skips this step.
- After specifying the TAH Campus license, click Next.
- Select the Typical option in the Installation Type dialog box. This ensures that all products on the TAH Campus license get installed.
- Specify the folder in which you want to install the software in the Installation Folder dialog box and click Next.
- Confirm your choices and click Install.
- When the MathWorks installer finishes, it displays the Installation Complete dialog box. In this dialog box, you can choose to activate the software you just installed. You cannot use the software until you activate it. The MathWorks recommends activating immediately after installation. If you want to activate later in a separate process, clear the option and click Next. To proceed with activation, leave the option selected and click Next.
- Activate the software. If you chose to let the installer launch the activation application, the application can skip several of the steps outlined below because the installer passes the information to the activation application.
- In the Activation Welcome dialog box, click Next.
- Log in to your MathWorks Account and click Next.
- Select the license you want to activate and click Next.
- Specify the Activation Key in the Activation Key dialog box and click Next.
- Confirm your activation information in the Confirmation dialog box and click Activate to activate the software.
- Complete the activation process by clicking Finish in the Activation Complete dialog box.
Your software is now ready to use.
You must be faculty, staff, post-doc, or a grad student using Mathworks software for UAB research activities to activate this software.
- Contact email@example.com to be added to the license. Put matlab in the subject line of your email or Mark may not read it.
- Download the software from mathworks download site.
We want this process to be as painless as possible. If you do not hear back from Mark within one working day then call 4-2009.