Matlab Designated Computer Install
This page covers the steps involved to install Mathworks software on an individual computer. This type of installation is termed a Designated Computer install. Designated Computer installations are completely stand alone installations and are individually activated for each computer. This install type is required if the computers that will run MATLAB are not connected to the campus network when MATLAB is in use, eg. a laptop that you use on and off campus. It is also an acceptable installation choice when maintaining Mathworks software on a small number of computers, however, you may find the Simplified MATLAB Install easier to maintain for any on-campus computers.
The Designated Computer install is generally not practical when a large number of computers need to be maintained, since the overhead of managing individual authorizations for each computer is too high. For example, when you are responsible for maintaining many computers in a lab or department or when you simply don't want to take on the responsibility for maintaining license authorizations for your installation. In the latter case, the Simplified MATLAB Install may be your preferred option.
how to install the software
The following instructions apply to dedicated standalone installations.
Please see the MATLAB application page for more information and a general overview of MATLAB and its use at UAB.
In order to install and activate the software, end users need Mathworks accounts. Create a Mathworks account at www.mathworks.com with your official UAB email address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Students will not be able to install and activate the software. They are free to use the products on any computer on campus after it is installed and activated. For the purposes of this license, graduate students and post-docs are considered staff when using the software in the course of research.
Users will need an activation key to associate their Mathworks accounts with the license. You can get the activation key from the UAB IT software site. See get a UAB Mathworks key for instructions. You only need to request the key once.
After your account has been associated with the license, download, install, and activate the software following the instructions below.
This is a standalone license, so MATLAB can be used off of the network.
Follow the instructions detailed in Downloading and Installing MATLAB. An outline of these installation steps are as follows:
- Create an account at the Mathworks site using your campus @uab.edu email address if you do not have one already.
- Request an activation key.
- Associate to the campus-wide license using your activation key.
- Download the software from mathworks download site and install.
- Activate the software. If you chose to let the installer launch the activation application, the application can skip several of the steps outlined below because the installer passes the information to the activation application.
- In the Activation Welcome dialog box, click Next.
- Log in to your MathWorks Account and click Next.
- Select the license you want to activate and click Next.
- Specify the Activation Key in the Activation Key dialog box and click Next.
- Confirm your activation information in the Confirmation dialog box and click Activate to activate the software.
- Complete the activation process by clicking Finish in the Activation Complete dialog box.
Your software is now ready to use.
NOTE: You may also find a detailed description of the installation process in the end-user section of the TAH admin guide: TAH Admin Guide
If you get stuck or have problems with the self-service installation then follow the steps below. You must be faculty, staff, post-doc, or a grad student using Mathworks software for UAB research activities to activate this software.
- Contact email@example.com to be added to the license. Put matlab in the subject line of your email or Mark may not read it. He will need your @uab.edu email address to confirm affiliation.
- Download the software from mathworks download site.