Simplified MATLAB Install
Please see the MATLAB application page for more information and a general overview of MATLAB and its use at UAB.
MATLAB Simplified Install
Follow the instructions detailed in Downloading and Installing MATLAB. An outline of these installation steps are as follows:
- Create an account at the Mathworks site using your campus @uab.edu email address if you do not have one already.
- Request an activation key.
- Associate to the campus-wide license using your activation key.
- Download the software from mathworks download site and install.
Activate the software: Add the following content to the network.lic file in the installation
SERVER lmgr.uabgrid.uab.edu 27000 USE_SERVER
On Mac's this file is located in /Applications/MATLAB_R2010a.app/licenses/network.lic
On Linux systems it is usually located at /usr/local/matlabR2010a/licenses/network.lic (conditional to the install location being /usr/local)
NOTE: Please engage in the Discussion to improve documentation of the above steps.
If you get stuck or have problems with the self-service installation then follow the steps below. You must be faculty, staff, post-doc, or a grad student using Mathworks software for UAB research activities to activate this software.
- Contact email@example.com to be added to the license. Put matlab in the subject line of your email or Mark may not read it. He will need your @uab.edu email address to confirm affiliation.
- Download the software from mathworks download site.
libXp.so.6 Error when starting MATLAB on a Red Hat / Fedora workstation
When executing 'matlab' on a Red Hat / Fedora workstation you may receive the following error:
'bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
The solution is to install the libXp package (this will require root privileges)
$ sudo yum install libXp