Research Computing Day 2012
(→Registration: Clarify wording and off set registration link)
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
== Registration ==
== Registration ==
Registration and a continental breakfast will begin at 8:15 a.m., with the welcome and overview at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served . is required and should be completed by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11th
== Agenda ==
== Agenda ==
Revision as of 14:59, 7 September 2012
The 2012 UAB Research Computing Day will be held September 13, 2012 at the Hill University Center, Alumni Auditorium.
Activities this year will include a symposium on Thursday, September 13, 2012 with invited talks and contributed talks from campus researchers.
UAB Research Computing Day is dedicated to dialogs on science, engineering, and their ever present drive to advance the art of technology in opening new research frontiers. These dialogs connect with our daily operations, touch the far edges of the Internet, and intersect with the themes of national funding agencies and peer institutions. Please visit the Research Computing Day page for an verview and history of past events.
Event Days and Times
- 8:15 - 4:30pm, September 13, 2012, 2012 UAB Research Computing Day at the Hill University Center, Alumni Auditorium
Registration and a continental breakfast will begin at 8:15 a.m., with the welcome and overview at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served and is sponsored by Dell Inc. Pre-registration is required for lunch and should be completed by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11th
Please visit Research Computing Day 2012 at Eventbright to complete your registration.
AGENDA for UAB 2012 Research Computing Day
September 13, 2012
UAB Hill University Center, Alumni Auditorium
- 8:15-9:00 Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 9:00-9:05 Welcome & Overview: David Shealy, Ph.D, IT Research Computing
- 9:05-9:40 Keynote Address: Building Capacity in Data Sciences, Richard Marchase, Ph.D., Interim President
- 9:40-10:10 UAB IT 2012 Annual Report, Doug Rigney, Ph.D., Interim VP Information Technology
- 10:10-10:50 Update on UAB Research Computing, John-Paul Robinson, Bob Cloud, David Shealy, Ph.D.
- 10:50-11:10 Break
- 11:10-11:45 Biomedical Infomatics: A Partnership for UAB, Elliot Lefkowitz, Ph.D., Curtis Hendrickson, Department of Microbiology
- 11:45-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30-2:00 Bioinformatics Session
- 12:30-12:50 Research Computing Across the Tree of Life, Robert Thacker, Ph.D., Department of Biology
- 12:50-1:10 A Clinical Data Warehouse? James Willig, MD, Department of Medicine, Infectious Diseases
- 1:10-1:30 Computational Challenges in Storage, Analysis and Interpretation of Next-Generation Sequencing Data, Shouguo Gao, Ph.D., Department of Physics
- 1:30-1:50 Microbiome Analysis, Ranjit Kumar, Ph.D., Center for Clinical & Translational Science
- 1:50-2:10 Using UAB HPC Computing Resources for Next-Generation Sequence Analysis Curtis Hendrickson, Ph.D., John Osborne, Department of Microbiology
- 2:10-2:30 Break
- 2:30-4:10 Science & Engineering Applications Session
- 2:30-2:50 Computational Model to the Simulation of Cardiac Electrical Wave Propagation, LuFang Zhou, Ph.D., Division, Cardiovascular Disease; Department of Medicine; Department, Biomedical Engineering
- 2:50-3:10 Diffusion of Odorants into the Binding Region of the Olfactory Receptor - a Novel Perspective, Peter Lai, Chiquito Crasto, Ph.D., Department of Genetics
- 3:10-3:30 Numerical Investigation of Phase Transition in a Cellular Network and Disease Onset, Johanna Stamper, Ph.D., Xujing Wang, Ph.D., Serkan Guldal, Department of Physics, Elais Jackson, Computer & Information Sciences
- 3:30-3:50 Increased Efficiency in NeuroImaging Workflow, Frank Skidmore, MD, Department of Neurology
- 3:50-4:10 Exploration of the Microbiota in Inflammatory Diseases, Matthew Stoll, MD, Department of Pediatric Rheumatology
- 4:10 Closing Remarks & Discussion