Research Computing Day 2012
The 2012 UAB Research Computing Day will be held September 13, 2011 at the Hill University Center, Alumni Auditorium.
Activities this year will include a symposium on Thursday, September 13, 2011 with invited talks and contributed talks from campus researchers.
UAB Research Computing Day is dedicated to dialogs on science, engineering, and their ever present drive to advance the art of technology in opening new research frontiers. These dialogs connect with our daily operations, touch the far edges of the Internet, and intersect with the themes of national funding agencies and peer institutions. Please visit the Research Computing Day page for an verview and history of past events.
Event Days and Times
- 8:15 - 4:30pm, September 13, 2012, 2012 UAB Research Computing Day at the Hill University Center, Auditorium
Please visit the Registration and a continental breakfast will begin at 8:15 a.m., with the welcome and overview at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served on the premises. Registration is required, and should be completed by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11th (http://researchcomputing2012.eventbrite.com/).
AGENDA for UAB 2011 Research Computing Day
September 15, 2011
UAB Hill University Center Auditorium
- 8:30 - 9:00 Registration
- 9:00 - 9:05 Welcome and Overview (pdf), David Shealy, PhD
- 9:10 - 9:45 Sustaining - and Growing - Research Computing Services at a Research I University (pdf), Ruth Marinshaw, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research Computing, Information Technology Service, University of North Carolina, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://its.unc.edu/Research/index.htm
- 9:45 - 10:20 Galaxy: A Web-based Platform for Accessible, Reproducible, and Transparent High-throughput Biology (pdf), Jeremy Goecks, PhD, Research Fellow in the Taylor Lab at Emory University, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: http://bx.mathcs.emory.edu/
- 10:25 - 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 - 11:15 UAB IT Research Computing Services Update (pdf), John-Paul Robinson, Bob Cloud, David Shealy
- 11:15 - 11:45 UAB IT Strategic Plan for Research Community (pdf), E. Douglas Rigney, PhD, PE, Interim Vice President for Information Technology, Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- 11:45 - 1:15 Poster Session and Lunch - size and location to be determine
- 1:15 - 2:30 Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Applications Session
- 1:15 - 1:40pm: Genotype calling for next-gen sequencing data, Degui Zhi, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 1:40 - 2:05: Preferred Odorant Binding Sites and Olfactory Receptor Function (pdf), Chiquito J. Crasto, PhD, Assistant Professor, Division of Research, Department of Genetics, Univeristy of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: 205-996-7083; E-mail: email@example.com .
- 2:05 - 2:35: Challenges in data acquisition, storage and processing for NIH funded studies (pdf), Stephen Barnes, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: 205-934-7117; FAX: 205-934-6944; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2:35 - 3:05pm: The Web of Linked Data and Informatics for the One Computer, Jonas S Almeida,PhD, Professor, Director of Div. Informatics, Dept Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tel: (205) 975-3286, email: email@example.com, cv: http://jonasalmeida.info
- 3:05 - 3:20 Coffee Break
- 3:20 - 4:20 Science and Engineering Applications Session
- 3:20 - 3:40: TAH - Update on UAB MATLAB campus license (pdf), David L Shealy, PhD, Professor and Chair, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: (205)934-8068; FAX (205)934-8042; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3:40 - 4:00: Computing in network modeling, Xujing Wang, Associate Professor, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: email@example.com
- 4:00 - 4:20: Improving Application Performance, John-Paul Robinson, System Architect Research Computing, IT Research Computing, LHL 164, zip 0013; Office telephone number: (205) 975-0124; Facsimile telephone number: (205) 975-2855; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and Thomas Anthony, IT Intern and Graduate Student in Computer Engineering; E-Mail: email@example.com ; Tele: (205) 410-8698.
- 4:30pm -- closing remarks/discussions of issues that need to be resolved.