To use the the SSH extension to access files on Cheaha, please follow the instructions in the documentation for installation. Once it is installed, follow these instructions to set up the SSH config file. The following assumes SSH is installed locally, and that a config file exists in the usual location for your operating system. The commands assume you have an open Visual Studio Code window.
- Open the command palette, default hotkey "Ctrl + Shift + P".
- Locate "Remote-SSH: Connect to Host..." by typing part of the command at the prompt.
- Click the command in the palette prompt.
- Click "Configure SSH Hosts...".
- Choose the location of the existing config file.
- In the new editor window that opened, add the following lines then save the file.
Host cheaha HostName cheaha.rc.uab.edu User <username>
The text <username> should be replaced by the user name you use to access Cheaha. The "User" line is not necessary but can save some time.
First, ssh into VM like normal:
If you are trying to edit file on VM, not Cheaha, make sure you have tmux installed on system.
# Ubuntu sudo apt install tmux # CentOS sudo yum install tmux
Now, create a tmux session and detach right away.
tmux new # Ctrl+B then D ^B d
You can exit this ssh connection now.
This time, ssh with remote command and special option
-t Force pseudo-terminal allocation.
ssh -t email@example.com "tmux -CC attach"