Mac OS user notes
Open Source Software
MacPorts: Tool to access and install open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system.
- Microsoft Office 2008: Download ISO from UAB IT software library. The Mac OS X is able to do installation directly from an ISO file.
- Firefox: Download and install Firefox from the Mozilla website
- Thunderbird: Download and Install Thunderbird from here.
Mailbox Alert Add-on to Thunderbird
By default, Thunderbird on Mac does not provide a pop up for new messages. To get pop-ups from thunderbird, every time you get a new message, install this Mailbox Alert Add-on. After installing the add-on,
- Select a folder in your account
- Go to Tools -> Mailbox Alert Preferences
- Check Show a message and type in a message in the second blank text field
- Check icon
- Check Play a sound
- Click Global Preferences and change Position, Effect, Pop up duration On click options to your liking.
Now you will get a pop up and the folder with the new message will be highlighted in blue with the number of new messages in parentheses beside the folder.
MIME Edit Add-on to Thunderbird
To open file attachments of type *.doc, *.pdf etc., from Thunderbird, this MIME Edit Add-on. After installing the Add-on,
- Go to menu Tools->MIME Edit...
- Go to Edit tab and click "New Type" button
- In "MIME type" and "Extension" textfields, type "PDF".
- Select the radiobutton "Open it with" and choose the path of acroread application by clicking the 'Choose' button.
- Click OK on all open dialogs and restart Thunderbird.
- LDAP for address book: Check UAB IT FAQ page for LDAP configuration settings.
Tips for getting Mac-friendly or otherwise
- Disable auto unzipping of Safari downloaded zip file: Safari automatically unzips downloaded zip file. You can disable it by Safari-Preferences -> General tab -> Uncheck 'Open safe files after downloading' . Also note that Safari/Mac does not show any window/prompt/status when the download starts.
- Changing Terminal window title: echo -n -e "\033]0; <your-title> \007"