Box.com bulk transfer
UAB has an Enterprise contract with Box.com, which is currently in BETA.
This page describes what we have learned about doing bulk-transfers of data.
Warning: size limitations
Box.com claims to have a 5G max filesize limit
- Now 15G max filesize (2/18/016; private email), but "that file size limit is still considered to be in a beta phase"
There was a rumor this would be increased in early 2016. Offically, this is all we know: https://community.box.com/t5/Managing-Your-Content/What-s-the-maximum-file-size-I-can-upload/ta-p/307
If you need to work around this, you can use the Linux "split" utility
| # chop file into 4G pieces |
| # record checksums of original and chunks|
Warning: time stamps
When using an FTP client to transfer data up, it is easy to lose both modification and creation timestamps. In particular, many clients will (optionally) preserve modification time, but few will (optionally) preserve creation date.
|FTP client||cost||platform||preserve mod_date||preserve create_date|
|SmartFTP||$$||Win Only/GUI||yes||can be enabled|
|fileZilla||free||linux & win/GUI_only||can be enabled||no|
Filezilla on create times
- request closed, no plans to fix: https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/2347
If someone creates a folder and shares it to you (as an reader, editor, co-owner, etc), it will live in your top level directory, and you will NOT be able to move it into any subfolder.
"Currently, users can't rearrange their own view of folders they are invited to collaborate within. As you note, when someone invites you to collaborate in a folder that you have never had access to before, you will see that folder on your root level." [box.com]
Workaround: if your collaborator makes you the full owner of the folder, then you will be able to move it.
Fix timeframe: "We've heard requests that people be able to rearrange their views before, and this is being considered as part of a larger product experience change next year" [box.com]
lftp mirror -R examples (UPload)
- "mirror" copies directory hierarchies DOWN from box.com to local
- "mirror -R" copies directory hierarchies UP from local to box.com
- the box server frequently looses connection (fails) on particular files
- just re-run the "mirror -R" and it will upload only new/failed files..
| lftp ftp.box.com|
> user BLAZERID@uab.edu users_BOX_external_password
Warning: This one makes the password visible to "ps" so should only be used on personal machines
| lftp -u BLAZERID@uab.edu,users_BOX_external_password ftp.box.com << EOF|
mirror --parallel=10 -R local_src_dir box_dest_dir
| cat > box_upload.lftp << EOF|
lftp mirror examples (DOWNload)
- --loop keep restarting until there are no new files left to download - helps if someone else is uploading to that directory while you're downloading it!
- -v verbose level 1: includes bytes transferred and transfer speed.
- --parallel=10 use 10 concurrent TCP/IP connections (much faster)
| cat > box_download.lftp << EOF|
Issues to resolve
- Routing over Iternet2
* we see our traffic randomly going over the commodity internet
Unfortunately, Box doesn't provide a Linux client (is it on the road map?).