2011 Research Computing Day Agenda
From UABgrid Documentation
Revision as of 14:01, 29 August 2011 by Dls@uab.edu
AGENDA for UAB 2011 Research Computing Day
September 15, 2011
UAB Hill University Center Auditorium
- 8:30 - 9:00 Registration
- 9:00 - 9:05 Welcome and Overview, David Shealy, PhD
- 9:10 - 9:45 Sustaining - and Growing - Research Computing Services at a Research I University, Ruth Marinshaw, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Research Computing, Information Technology Service, University of North Carolina, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: http://its.unc.edu/Research/index.htm
- 9:45 - 10:20 Galaxy: A Web-based Platform for Accessible, Reproducible, and Transparent High-throughput Biology, Jeremy Goecks, PhD, Research Fellow in the Taylor Lab at Emory University, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: http://bx.mathcs.emory.edu/
- 10:25 - 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 - 11:15 UAB IT Research Computing Services Update, Bob Cloud, David Shealy, John-Paul Robinson
- 11:15 - 11:45 UAB IT Strategic Plan for Research Community, E. Douglas Rigney, PhD, PE, Interim Vice President for Information Technology, Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- 11:45 - 1:30 Poster Session and Lunch - size and location to be determine
- 1:30 - 2:30 Biomedical Sciences and Engineering Applications Session
- 1:30-2pm: Genotype calling for next-gen sequencing data, Degui Zhi, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 2:00 - 2:30: The Web of Linked Data and Informatics for the One Computer, Jonas S Almeida,PhD, Professor, Director of Div. Informatics, Dept Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tel: (205) 975-3286, email: email@example.com, cv: http://jonasalmeida.info
- 2:30 - 3:00pm: Challenges in data acquisition, storage and processing for NIH funded studies, Stephen Barnes, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: 205-934-7117; FAX: 205-934-6944; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3:00 - 3:20 Coffee Break
- 3:20 - 4:20 Science and Engineering Applications Session
- 3:20 - 3:40: TAH - Update on UAB MATLAB campus license, David L Shealy, PhD, Professor and Chair, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. Tele: (205)934-8068; FAX (205)934-8042; E-Mail: email@example.com.
- 3:40 - 4:00: Computing in network modeling, Xujing Wang, Associate Professor, Dept Physics, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4:00 - 4:20: Topic: benchmards...Title and authorship to be finalized IT Research Computing, University of Alabama at Birmingham. E-mail: email@example.com
- 4:30pm -- closing remarks/discussions of issues that need to be resolved.