Research Computing Day 2013
From UABgrid Documentation
The 2013 UAB Research Computing Day will be held September 26, 2013 in Cudworth at 1919 University Blvd.
Activities this year will include a symposium on Thursday, September 26, 2013 with invited talks and contributed talks from campus researchers.
UAB Research Computing Day is dedicated to dialogs on science, engineering, and their ever present drive to advance the art of technology in opening new research frontiers. These dialogs connect with our daily operations, touch the far edges of the Internet, and intersect with the themes of national funding agencies and peer institutions. Please visit the Research Computing Day page for an overview and history of past events.
Event Days and Times
- 8:15 - 4:30pm, September 26, 2013, 2013 UAB Research Computing Day in Cudsworth Building, 1919 University Blvd.
Registration and a continental breakfast will begin at 8:15 a.m., with the welcome and overview at 9 a.m. Lunch plans are being made. Pre-registration is required for lunch and should be completed by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 24th
AGENDA for UAB 2013 Research Computing Day
September 26, 2013
UAB Cudworth Building, 1919 University Blvd, UAB campus
- 8:15-9:00 Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 9:00-9:05 Welcome & Overview: Agenda (pdf) David Shealy, Ph.D, IT Research Computing
- 9:05-9:40 Keynote Address: Innovative OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution, Joseph B. George,Sr. Director of the Cloud and Big Data Solutions Team at Dell
- 9:40-10:10 UAB Update from Alabama Supercompter Center, David Young, Ph.D., HPC Computational Specialist, CSC; email@example.com; (256)971-7434
- 10:10-10:30 FISMA: What it means to UAB, by Joseph W. Popenski III, Ph.D.; CISO and AVP-IT; CISSP; CPP; CISM; CFE. firstname.lastname@example.org; (205)975-3117; See link for abstract.
- 10:30-10:50 HPC Needs at Research Intensive Universities, Purushotham (Puri) V. Bangalore, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, UAB
- 10:50- 11:10 Federal Mandate for Research Data Management Plan and Possible Solutions, David L. Shealy, Ph.D., Professor & Chair, Department of Physics, UAB
- 11:10 - 11:50 UAB Shared Research Storage Solutions and Desktop Options, John-Paul Robinson, System Architect Research Computing, UAB
- 12:00 - 12:45pm Lunch and Con
- 1:00 - 2:00pm Bootcamp
- Getting Started with HPC
- Do's & Don'ts
- Available Apps
- Add your own Apps
- Graphical Apps
- Mobile Computing
- Cluster Desktops
- Help Desk
- Getting Started with HPC
- 2:00-3:00pm Inaugural HPC Users Group Meeting
- Presentation: Introducing the Research Cloud
- Open Discussion Forum