SURAgrid Community Calls 2012
Monthly calls discussing topics of interest to the community at large.
The SURAgrid community holds regularly scheduled monthly calls on the third Monday of each month at 2pm Eastern on a conference bridge hosted by SURA.
Topics for these calls are based on the interests and needs of the SURAgrid community. They will often include a topic presentation and discussion. Any community member can suggest topics for upcoming calls. Preference is given to topics lead by community members. In other words, suggestions are nice but making it happen is what counts.
2012 SURAgrid Call Schedule
The monthly community calls have been on hiatus since September 2010's All Hands meeting. We pick back up with the combined February/March call on March 5.
- SG Call March 5, 2012 - this is a combined Feb/Mar call rescheduled to avoid conflict with President's Day and the OSG All-Hands meeting
- SG Call April 16, 2012
- SG Call May 21, 2012
- SG Call June 18, 2012
- SG Call July 16, 2012
- SG Call August 20, 2012
- SG Call September 17, 2012
- SG Call October 15, 2012
- SG Call November 19, 2012
- SG Call December 17, 2012
Getting Your Topic on a Community Call
The best way to get your topic of interest on a SURAgrid community call is offer to lead the call. The best topics are ones that are of broad interest to SURAgrid members and help make forward progress on an issue that is affecting the community.
It's easy to volunteer to lead a community call, just follow these steps:
- Solicit interest in your call topic through your engagement in one of the SURAgrid work groups
- Submit your proposed topic to any member of the SURAgrid Governance Committee to schedule the call topic. This is best done at least one month prior to the proposed call date.
- Coordinate a guided discussion, for example a presentation by people familiar with the topic (this could be you!). The goal should be to engage participants and address a problem they are facing.
- Once your call is scheduled:
- Fill out the wiki page for your scheduled call. Follow the template format of the March 5, 2012 call.
- Two weeks prior to your scheduled call send out a call topic announcement to the email@example.com list summarizing the call topic and soliciting participation. Include a link to the wiki page for the call
- One week prior to your scheduled call send out short reminder to the the firstname.lastname@example.org. It's best to again include your wiki page
- On the day of your scheduled call, send out a short reminder with any call specific instructions like the links to the presentations that will be covered during your call
- After your call is over (on the same day if you can), be sure to summarize the salient discussion points on the wiki page for the call. Feel free to circulate this link with an update to the SURAgrid list concluding the call.