SURAgrid Community Calls
The SURAgrid Community Calls are help on the third Monday of the month from 2-3pm (Eastern). They cover topics of interest to the SURAgrid community and are meant to foster a shared understanding of our needs and potential directions technology directions. They feature work being done in the community at member institutions.
Previous Community Calls
- June 24, 2013 - Relaunch of monthly call series, general discussion of topics and ideas.
- September 16, 2013 - Galaxy web-based workflow manager for genetics domains
- October 21, 2013 - EMI Worflow Managment System (EMI-WMS) a general purpose worflow system
- November 18, 2013 - SURAgrid Cloud Options Working Group report and discussion
- December 16, 2013 - XSEDE Campus Bridging update
The following are the suggested call topics for the upcoming calls. They are intended to follow a theme of topics of interest to campus research computing support organizations"
- January 20, 2013 - Martin Luther King Jr. - no call
- February 17, 2014 - InfiniBand
- March 17, 2014 - File systems series: Fraunhofer, http://www.fhgfs.com
- April 21, 2014 - File systems series: Luster+Hadoop, http://www.lustre.org
- May 19, 2014 - File systems series: Ceph+Hadoop, http://www.ceph.com
Getting Your Topic on a Community Call
The best way to get your topic of interest on a SURAgrid community call is offer to lead the call. The best topics are ones that are of broad interest to SURAgrid members and help make forward progress on an issue that is affecting the community.
It's easy to volunteer to lead a community call, just follow these steps:
- Solicit interest in your call topic through your engagement in one of the SURAgrid work groups
- Submit your proposed topic to any member of the SURAgrid Governance Committee to schedule the call topic. This is best done at least one month prior to the proposed call date.
- Coordinate a guided discussion, for example a presentation by people familiar with the topic (this could be you!). The goal should be to engage participants and address a problem they are facing.
- Once your call is scheduled:
- Fill out the wiki page for your scheduled call. Follow the template format of the March 5, 2012 call.
- Two weeks prior to your scheduled call send out a call topic announcement to the firstname.lastname@example.org list summarizing the call topic and soliciting attendance. Include a link to the wiki page for the call.
- One week prior to your scheduled call send out short reminder to the the email@example.com. It's best to again include your wiki page.
- On the day of your scheduled call, send out a short reminder with any call specific instructions like the links to the presentations that will be covered during your call.
- After your call is over (on the same day if you can), be sure to summarize the salient discussion points on the wiki page for the call. Feel free to circulate this link with an update to the SURAgrid list concluding the call.